1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

Neverwinter Nights Forum News

Discussion in 'Game/SP News & Comments' started by NewsPro, Mar 19, 2004.

1. NewsPro Gems: 30/31
    Latest gem: King's Tears

(Originally posted by chevalier)

Here are today's Neverwinter Nights forum highlights. Please take into account that these are only single parts of various threads and should not be taken out of context. Bear in mind also that the posts presented here are copied as-is, and that any bad spelling and grammar does not get corrected on our end.

Craig Welburn, Live Team Programmer

Multiplayer: You can only play together if you are both patched to the same version of the game. If you don't have the expansion packs installed (most likely if your friend is running the mac version), the module also determines whether or not you can enter the game. If a module was created with an expansion pack installed, then the expansion pack will be required to play in that module. If the module was created using only the original NWN, then anyone should be able to join in.

Pausing: In addition, if you are running your own server you can allow players to pause the game by enabling the "Player Pausing" option (which is accessed through the Load Module/Load Saved game screen by clicking on "Advanced Options").

Skyboxes:

Quote: Is the Sky in the game yet? if so how do you get it working?

The skys have to be set in the area properties of the module, by the module creator. For HotU, none of the underground areas have a sky. To turn on the sky, go to Options->Video Options and turn on "Enable Sky Boxes"

Georg Zoeller, Designer

DM client:

nwmain.exe -dmc starts the DM client directly

I would advise you to contact Atari Support about your problem with SecuRom, I think it is important for them to be aware problems customers have with SecuRom.

Setname:

Quote: Correct, there is absolutely no reason bioware shouldn't be able to do this. They just won't. Perhaps there are better things they could be doing.. but I can't believe they can't see that this would be useful, and that seems to be their response whenever it's requested.

SetName will most likely never be added. We can see that it is useful, and we know that it is a very requested functionality (heck, we asked for it ourselves during hordes development), but adding this functionality is not an option with the available resources to the NWN project and we certainly won't do any weird hacks to add it. So: Even if this topic is brought up 200 times, it does not make it more likely for this function to be added - SetName is a closed topic for us AFAIK.

Crafting Arrows: Elmwood and Feathers

Rob Bartel, Co Lead Designer

Digital Distribution & multiplayer: Oh, we're by no means steering away from multiplayer DD content. Of the content currently in testing, we have two singleplayer-only adventure modules and one that is quite multiplayer friendly. I've drawn up some designs for further multiplayer-friendly or even multiplayer-required modules and we hope to start work on those sometime in the near future. Diversity is going to be key to the DD Project and it's much more economically viable for us to target a niche market than it is for an expansion pack or full title to do the same.

David Gaider, Designer

Assassin Class:

1) Neither Georg nor myself are on the Live Team. We post here on the boards and are therefore very identifiable with NWN, I know, but we are actively working on different projects now.

2) That said, I do know that there are no plans at the present time to make changes to any classes or prestige classes beyond fixing bugs. And, no, something not working the way you think it should does not constitute a bug.

But I'm positive the Live Team appreciates the input as well as the creative manner in which it was delivered. Something like this may come down the pipe in the future, you never know.

Further:

Quote: Chaotic Neutral is, in this rogue's view, can be just as moral-lacking as evil, meaning one important bit of those requirements ticked off.

Being Chaotic may certainly bring a disregard for the law into the picture, but murdering people for no other reason than profit hardly strikes me as a neutral position on the good/evil scale. I know that murder is pretty commonplace in most entertainment these days and that we all are quite inured to the idea, so I know the concept that murder could require a little more than a simple lack of morals could be considered quite shocking. At any rate, that's also one of the requirements for the Assassin prestige class in the official rulebooks, and I doubt WotC's of the mood to approve such a deviation.

Further:

Good call. How a PnP ability is implemented on the computer (three-round observation requirement included) is a far cry from changing something more fundamental that can be easily included. And who knows? Maybe WotC would approve a non-evil assassin. I don't think we're about to ask them to.

Further:

Quote: David used the SRD verbatim to defend Bio's implementation of a different rule but then Bio chose to ignore the SRD when implementing poison and assassin abilities. Sounds like they are using the SRD when it supports their decisions but ignoring it when it refutes them. I'm not saying this is wrong, it just sounds very hypocritical and inconsistent.

That's not very fair. I'm not trying to justify anything at all. I simply said that implementing an alignment restriction as per the book is a very straight-forward thing to do. Naturally when it comes to other things that are not so straight-forward we're going to have to use our judgement in how they're going to be implemented, even if you don't agree with them. I did not, however, point to anything beyond the alignment in terms of how any prestige class abilities were done. Good or bad, these abilities are simply unlikely to be changed at all by us anytime in the near future.

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 4, 2018
Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.