1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

New laptop under $1000

Discussion in 'Techno-Magic' started by ion, May 16, 2010.

1. ion Gems: 5/31
    Latest gem: Andar

Looking for a new laptop. Want as much power as possible for under 1000.

I had my eye on the samsung r780, but they seem to be impossible to get.

Any suggestions?

Thanks

2. Morgoth

Morgoth La lune ne garde aucune rancune Veteran

Media:
    Macbook :)

3. Munchkin Blender Gems: 22/31
    Latest gem: Sphene

If you want a PC laptop the best PC laptop out right now is Asus. It has a 5870 GPU with Intel I-7 920 CPU and 6GB of RAM and 2 500GB hard drives that can be setup with raid or you can keep them as seperate hard drives. You may be able to find this system for about $1200-1500. Depending on where you buy it.

Best Buy had it on sale last week for $1199.

4. Kitrax

Kitrax Pantaloons are supposed to go where!?!?

Media:
    I'm still a fan of customized laptops. I just bought a Dell Studio XPS for $1920. It's got a Core I-7 820 CPU, ATI Radeon HD 4670, 4GB of RAM, 500GB HDD, Blu-Ray drive, and a full 1080p screen. It's also the sexiest looking laptop I've ever seen. :love:

IIRC, the starting price is ~$1200.

5. Faye

Faye Life is funny. Veteran

Media:
    If you print money, Alienware m17x.

Edit:
    O... sorry, didn't see the below 1000$
    I'd go with Kitrax and say customized laptops are pretty good.

6. ion Gems: 5/31
    Latest gem: Andar

ended up going with an asus. really nice machine!

7. Kitrax

Media:
    Specs and ammount paid please... :hmm:

8. Munchkin Blender Gems: 22/31
    Latest gem: Sphene

Which one?

---------- Added 0 hours, 1 minutes and 2 seconds later... ----------

When did you buy your laptop? Hopefully a year ago.

9. Kitrax

Media:
    No...I bought a few months ago. I just got an ad in the mail from Dell. The new starting price for a Studio XPS is $1200. I forgot what the starting price was when I bought mine...probably $100 to $200 more. But on top of that base price, I upgraded my CPU to the Core i7-820QM, added the Blu-Ray drive, upgraded to Win7 Pro, upgraded the screen (from 1600x900 to 1920x1080), and upgraded my WiFi to the fastest card they had at that time. The price I played is pretty much the same price you would pay today for the exact system I have.

Perhaps you missed the 'XPS' in Studio XPS....The Studio and Studio XPS are very different core systems.

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.