1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

Not much buzz on this game?!?!?!?

Discussion in 'Neverwinter Nights 2' started by Sir Belisarius, Nov 14, 2006.

1. Harbourboy

Harbourboy Take thy form from off my door! Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

I still think the negative comments outweigh the positive ones for me. The negative reviews point to very specific things that would definitely annoy me, whereas the positive ones just seem to relate to the fact that some people are more easy going and like a game despite its flaws. I will not be buying it any time soon, unless I hear people start to talk about how some patch or expansion has made it heaps better.

2. Blackthorne TA

Blackthorne TA Master in his Own Mind Staff Member ★ SPS Account Holder Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    Harbourboy - You seem to like to play the original as a single-player game quite a bit. I can almost guarantee you'll like NWN2 better than the original as long as you have a computer that can run it well.

I can understand that you wouldn't want to upgrade your computer for this game (or any game really). But if you've got the necessary computer already, or are upgrading it anyway, I'm telling you you'd have fun with this game if you enjoyed the original as a single-player game.

3. Harbourboy

Harbourboy Take thy form from off my door! Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Actually, I hate the original OC, but I like SoU and HotU. I like the gameplay in the expansions as well as the addition of prestige classes, reaching level 30, and the fixes introduced in all the patches.

I don't like the sound of:
    - unkillable NPCs
    - NPCs you are forced to take
    - a dodgy inventory system
    - camera angles that nobody seems to be able to work
    - there being no possible way to be evil
    - some of the performance issues

4. Blackthorne TA

Blackthorne TA Master in his Own Mind Staff Member ★ SPS Account Holder Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    I meant the original game, not necessarily the OC.

The NPCs are killable, just not permanently. What exactly is the issue with that? You mentioned that you didn't want to kill off your companions...

As far as I know, you are forced to have companions in you party only until you reach Neverwinter. After that point, companions are merely accessible, you don't have to have any of them in your party.

What's dodgy about the inventory? Sure, everything takes only one slot. Is that really going to affect your enjoyment? Maybe; I don't know. But it barely registers on my annoyance scale.

Camera angles. I wish I understood the camera problem people are having. The default camera mode seems the same as in the original, except you are allowed more freedom in the angles you can set it to.

I believe you can be evil in the same way you can be evil in the official campaigns of the original. They weren't built around an evil plot either.

Performance issues. OK that can be a major show stopper, and I agree that you shouldn't buy a new computer just to play this game. But I wouldn't recommend you to do that for any game.

5. catbert

catbert Midnight Snack Staff Member ★ SPS Account Holder Veteran BoM XenForo Migration Contributor [2015] (for helping support the migration to new forum software!)

Media:
    also...
    - ridiculously idiotic AI
    - underdeveloped party control alternative to AI
    - no choice in NPC levels
    - ctrl-c'd PrC features from NWN
    - awkward animations

Neither last, nor the least

- gawd, I notice a ton of typos in the game text

6. Harbourboy

Damn you people and your conflicting views! Maybe I will need to buy the game just to find out who is right and who is wrong!!

7. catbert

catbert Midnight Snack Staff Member ★ SPS Account Holder Veteran BoM XenForo Migration Contributor [2015] (for helping support the migration to new forum software!)

Media:
    Borrow it from a friend instead.

8. Harbourboy

I don't know anybody who has a computer anywhere remotely capable of playing the game, so no chance of borrowing it.

9. omnigodly Gems: 17/31
    Latest gem: Star Diopside

Veteran

I'm going to build another computer Black Friday, when I can buy parts cheap. That comp should be able to run everything high graphics WITH shadows (right now I'm running it high grahpics with shadows on low and linear tracing). The game is good imo, it just needs a little work, I think it's worth waiting for a while though, there are already over 100MB's of patches to download.

I currently have a PC for sale, the specs are in one of the other threads and I'm asking for somewhere around $1,000.

10. Bombur

Bombur I'm always last and I don't like it

Well, Harbourboy might be able to develop a personal affection for it because of the backstory. After all the protagonist is a "Harbor Man." ;)

11. khaavern Gems: 14/31
    Latest gem: Chrysoberyl

You can select the entire party at once (or only a couple of charaters) and move them like in BG? Then I don't really understand why people complain about controlling your party members.

:lol: that is pretty funny :) actually I did not find the NWN henchmen so bad, you just had to keep an eye on them, and make sure they do not run ahead of you and get clobbered. But with some buffs, the fighter-types (and Linu) were pretty resilient.

I am not buying the game right now because of the minor bugs, mostly. I hope these will be fixed in a couple of months. Otherwise, I sort of like what I hear, even when reading negative posts. Most of the people complain about things I do not care much about, like multiplayer issues, or not being able to roleplay a homicidal maniac :) And I like the idea of your party members being knocked unconscious; better than having them being dead and respawn at some temple. You still have to heal them after the battle, which I think is not cheap.

12. Blackthorne TA

Media:
    Actually, healing anyone after a battle is free and takes 5 seconds as long as there aren't enemys nearby. Healing someone during battle costs spells or potions; outside of battle all it takes is a rest.

13. catbert

Media:
    You can't. That's kind of the point.

14. Sir Belisarius

Sir Belisarius Viconia's Boy Toy Distinguished Member ★ SPS Account Holder

Media:
    I'm really enjoying this game now, but Elanee is starting to annoy me - she shape changes at the drop of a hat, and I lose her spell abilities! Stoopid Doo-dads!

15. Blackthorne TA

Media:
    Turn off her use of special abilities in the AI, or right click on her when she's the active party member to select the command to change her back.

16. Sir Belisarius

Media:
    I've been using the right click - but I'll modify her behavior when I get home tonight!! By the way - is there a weapon/armor crafting table in Neverwinter? I've only found an alchemist's table so far.

17. omnigodly Gems: 17/31

Veteran

Yes, in the Sunken Flagon Inn, there's a back room with all the tables you need.

Also, get the wild shape feat that allows spell casting while wild shaping. Forgot the name, but it's wonderful. I never liked Elanee 'til the very end where she could cast 9th level spells. Shape Change into an Iron Golem and power up with a level 8 version of righteous might and OH WOW FREIGHT TRAIN COMIN' THROUGH.

18. Sir Belisarius

Media:
    Thanks for the tip! She can change to an Iron Golem?!?!? That doesn't sound druidly to me.

I took my first level of Divine Champion last night to see how it is...So far, not much different from my pally...

19. omnigodly Gems: 17/31

Veteran

Divine champion will boost your saves a lot and give you free useless feats (useless because they don't have enough feats in the game yet).

20. The Shaman Gems: 28/31
    Latest gem: Star Sapphire

I was actually surprised how much stuff from the 2 expansions of NWN they didn't include. I wish they had included more PrCs, as well...

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.