1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

Online pen&paper games

Discussion in 'Dungeons & Dragons + Other RPGs' started by Gnolyn Lochbreaker, Sep 17, 2001.

1. Vormaerin Gems: 15/31
    Latest gem: Waterstar

So, what happened anyway? I stopped getting any messages after Kahraman said he was examining the body, then I got disconnected and couldn't reconnect. Grrrr. Anyway, if its a vote, I'd prefer OpenRPG (assuming its actually similar to webRPG which i have a limited familiarity with).

Also, I can't be there this coming saturday. I have to cater one of those annoying lunchtime wedding receptions, so I'll be up and cooking by 8am (HST).

Aloha
    Vormaerin

2. LordNocturne Gems: 7/31
    Latest gem: Tchazar

My computer froze, i reconnected, and my ISP changed. Everyone else came back to Slappy's, and i gave them the new address

3. Vormaerin Gems: 15/31

ah. I must have waited too long or not long enough, because I stopped in at slappy's for a second and didn't see anyone. I wasn't sure what was going on, because Netmeeting claimed I was still connected for a good ten minutes at least after I stopped getting messages from anyone else. Posts I made still showed up, but that's it.

Aloha
    Vormaerin

4. Slappy Gems: 19/31
    Latest gem: Aquamarine

OK so what was the session actually like. I can see that there were a few technical gremlins but that is to be expected trying something new with a large group. I'm also guessing that it must have partley worked as someone mentioned getting cut off during part of the game. Anyway, I'm really curious to hear if it worked like we had hoped - people being able to talk to each other to recreate the 'around a table' feel.

Based on what has already been said. I guess it would be a good idea to have someone with a static IP address as the host. Gnolyn's address is static and as DM he would be the logical choice once his PC is working properly.

Maybe it would also help if everyone could post a picture of their character. That way we would have something to look at and associate with the voice.

Open RPG or some such programme has been mentioned as an alternative to Netmeeting. I'm open to new ideas so would appreciate any links anyone has for this. I am worried though that someone mentioned that there is a subscription fee to use this programme. Also does it support voice chat, which was the main reason or using Netmeeting?

Finally, I'm guessing the 'Kyst the beginning' thread is now obsolete as it was only intended to introduce the charcaters before the real game started. If not let me know.

5. Capstone Gems: 16/31
    Latest gem: Shandon

[​IMG] Sadly, there are those of us who have no microphone, so the voice chat in NetMeeting is no advantage. I don't believe http://www.openrpg.com supports voice. However, there is no subscription fee for this program. Let me warn you though that I am not too familiar with it yet, and so I cannot help with issues of sharing maps and charsheets.

6. Gnolyn Lochbreaker Gems: 13/31
    Latest gem: Ziose

[​IMG] Hey there folks. Sorry things didn't go as smoothly as planned :( But, I've been checking out OpenRpg and it looks pretty good so far. It will require that everyone download the application, and you'll probably want to do it several days in advance so you can play around with the interface.

I'll see if I can put the transcript from Saturday's session on the Karyst site for Slappy and Erran. Oh, and I got Juhn's stat's Invoker - thanks.

The 'Karyst - The Beginning' thread is indeed obsolete however, there will definitely be more opportunities for threads in Roleplay Corner. As for online sessions, this Saturday is out (we have guests from out of town), but the Saturday after should be alright.

[This message has been edited by Gnolyn Lochbreaker (edited November 07, 2001).]

7. Slappy Gems: 19/31

I've now read the transcript (and it reminded of so many of our attempts at linking up Gnolyn and Sprite :) ). Anyway here is what Devious would have done:

When the others headed outside he stayed inside and started to help the Innkeeper and his staff clear up. "well I hope they are not too long, I don't want to be lonely in the stables nor awaked when they return." Being as friendly and as chatty as possible he tried to draw any snipets of information about what's been happening generally (though never being pushy) and Eric and Vira in particular. Again though nothing too pushy his lead with the serving girls and the Innkeeper's wife would be to remark about what a lovely couple Eric and Vira make - pure inoffensive gossipy stuff. So let me know if anything interesting is let slip my gather info is +6. I'm also looking for what is 'not said' and any undercurrents about how people feel about what is being said and the town current situation. My Sense motive is also +6. My charisma is 14.

At the sound of the scream, I'll hang back with the rest of the Inn staff (those in earshot might hear me mutter something about 'when they start screaming, it's usually too late.' If the Inn staff remain at the inn I'll keep an eye out through the windows and will question any people I see coming back to their homes. Once I hear the 'excitement' is over I'll head quickly to find the rest of the group. Or, if the Inn staff leave to find out what was hapening (as many of the townsfolk seemed to do), I'll go with them. At the scene of the body, I'll just mingle and try to notice anyone acting suspiciouly and try to pick up on the general feeling of the towns folk - for example, they are upset but is this something they are used to, have seen before, or is completely new, etc. You have my gather info and sense motive, my Listen is also 6, my search is 4 but my spot is 0.

When the party decides to head into the forest, I'll shake my head, nook my bow then move to be close to Kahraman or Varg "I think you could use another Strongarm friends, let me join you."

8. LordNocturne Gems: 7/31

I'm sorry guys, but until further notice, i won't be playing D&D. My reasons are my own, i'd prefer not to share, but if you really want to know, ask me in email.

It has nothing to do with you guys, i had a great time last night.

Later

9. Gnolyn Lochbreaker Gems: 13/31

[​IMG] Okay - I've posted xp earned since we started in the Roleplay Corner thread (basically closed now).

I've been playing around with OpenRPG and it's definitely a step up ;) I won't have everything all set-up by this weekend, so the next online session will be November 24th (mark it on your calendars :D ) - unless there are any strong objections. I haven't had a chance to do much on the site, or for preparations over the last week, but things seem to be easing up now. How has everyone else found OpenRPG? Has everyone found it?
    Just in case - http://www.openrpg.com/index.php

LordNocturne - sorry you won't be able to stick around. I was really starting to enjoy the dynamics between Zey and Kahraman :) But hold on to your character - you never know!

[This message has been edited by Gnolyn Lochbreaker (edited November 14, 2001).]

10. LordNocturne Gems: 7/31

Well... i can play D&D With my Dad's consent now.

Provided... i read the Bible. And give him a book report on each Book contained within.

At least he didn't say something hard, like getting Straight A's.

He merely did something like that to his Agnostic child. D'oh

11. Sprite Gems: 15/31

Yay! The halfling is back, to terrorise the innocent everywhere with his nasty popping-out-of-the-shadows trick. I'm so pleased. :D

I'd be happy to help you with those book reports. I trained as a pastor so I'm highly qualified. And, believe it or not, it won't be as boring as it sounds. The Bible (especially the "Old Testament") is one amazing adventure story after another. Fascinating even to agnostics!

12. LordNocturne Gems: 7/31

hehe, it's kinda interesting so far. I'm about halfway through Genisis. That's what i get for playing BG2 at the same time... lol.

The Book report will be something like this:

And on the first Day, god created Light.
    On the second, Valygar killed Entu.

13. Capstone Gems: 16/31

[​IMG] Agnostic, eh? So you believe in a Supreme Being, then, but think that such a being is beyond the comprehension of us finite creatures. I think there's a lot more agnostics out there then some of us realize...

14. Slappy Gems: 19/31

Lord Nocturn, show you Dad what he's missing:
    link

:)

[This message has been edited by Taluntain (edited November 19, 2001).]

15. Capstone Gems: 16/31

[​IMG] Heh! I love it.

By the way, the Saturday after Thanksgiving is very unlikely for me to able to attend.

16. Sprite Gems: 15/31

Er... for the non-American majority here, can you please let us know what date that translates to? :)

17. Vormaerin Gems: 15/31

That would be the previously decreed date of November 24th. Since nearly all Americans get Thursday and Friday off for the Thanksgiving holiday (not me, though), the resulting four day weekend is popular for travel and family occassions.

Aloha
    Vormaerin

18. Capstone Gems: 16/31

[​IMG] Slappy, could you edit your link so we can get rid of this annoying scroll?

I will be out of town on the 24th. :(

EDIT: Thanks Tal. ;)

[This message has been edited by Capstone (edited November 20, 2001).]

19. Gnolyn Lochbreaker Gems: 13/31

[​IMG] So, um, how many will not be available for the 24th?

Slappy - nice link :)

20. Slappy Gems: 19/31

Yep I should be around on the 24th - though I also have to fit in my 'I'm finally Dr Slappy' celebrations :)

PS sorry about the link problems - though I don't really understand what it was that was wrong and Tal fixed. Thanks anyway though Tal.

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.