1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

Paladin / fighter

Discussion in 'Pool of Radiance: Ruins of Myth Drannor' started by lasgalen, Mar 26, 2006.

1. lasgalen Gems: 3/31
    Latest gem: Lynx Eye

Does anyone know if there are any problems inherent in advancing as a paladin / fighter until fighter level 4 (I want "Cleave")? Cheers!

2. kmonster Gems: 24/31
    Latest gem: Water Opal

Veteran

I see no reason why it shouldn't work.
    But you'll cripple his turn undead skill with the 4 fighter levels and half of your enemies are undead.
    Even a pure paladin will get cleave at level 15 or so. I don't remember it exactly any more.

3. ToddMcF2002 Gems: 6/31
    Latest gem: Jasper

Definately make sure you have some strong turning ability in your party.

I thought Paladins had cleave? I could be wrong. Where are you in the game?

4. lasgalen Gems: 3/31

I'm pretty much at the beginning. I played thhru' about 4 levels of the halls about 2 years ago, but have only just restarted playing. With the exception of Jarial, my characters are all about level 2.

I have heard a few comments about paladins not getting cleave, and it's a feat I like - I think I gave it to my TOEE paladin, but don't recall having it for POR.

5. Thrasher91604

Thrasher91604 For those who know ...

Barbarians get it as one of the first feats, fighters get it at about 5th level, but you do get it as a paladin even later at about 8th level.

See this website for when you get which feats. I think it's mostly correct, although sometimes the game does "different" things when you multiclass.

http://gamebanshee.com/poolofradianceromd/feats/cleave.php

As Todd said, the turning ability is much more valuable in this game than the cleave feat. There just aren't that many circumstances when you're surrounded by hordes of low-level baddies, whereas there are TONS of undead.

Cheers!
    Thrasher91604

6. ToddMcF2002 Gems: 6/31

I ended up relying on cleave quite a bit - especially against the Cultists and Drow. But yeah, turning is more critical since area of effect spells can compensate for cleave while there is no alternative to turn undead when you need it early on. Your mileage may vary - I used a large party so I had a wide range of attributes to bring to bear.

7. Thrasher91604

Yeah, but that's later in the game, and your pally should have the feat by that time. You just don't need it early when they're aren't that many weak enemies on you. If you just get one extra attack per enemy, and your missing most of the time anyway, and it takes 8 hits to take them down, cleave doesn't help much.

Of course, this is in the context of a small 2 man party. If you have a large party that's taking a long time to level, then maybe you don't want to wait that long.

Later in the game when you're uber powerful cleave is much more helpful. :)

8. lasgalen Gems: 3/31

Thanks for all input - i'd prefer to stick with pure characters. They're a bit more interesting than ones who are just okay at a whole bunch of things.

9. kmonster Gems: 24/31

Veteran

I wouldn't multiclass a cleric or sorcerer.

But I would consider adding 1 barbarian level after 2 rogue levels, the first barbarian feat you get is cleave.(if you have 13 str)
    If you add a fighter level at your 6th level-up you'll also get power attack and improved critical.

If the descriptions are correct and cleave is the 8th feat for your paladin you'll get it at level 18 if you are human (21 if not), that is never.

But the bonus stat points the pregenerated paladin gets are more useful than the cleave feat.

10. Thrasher91604

Actually one of the strongest characters you can create is a cleric/paladin. You get the extra turning capability, high saving throws, excellent fighting skills, decent HPs, and the most "destructive" spells in the game. I was able to turn liches with this character. Also, you get cleave at eighth level paladin or even earlier if you multi-class. If there is a common feat between classes and you already have it, then the game (most of the time) skips forward to the next feat on the list. So if you make a multi-class cleric/paladin you can get the feat earlier than a total of 16 levels. But as I said before, cleave is not the most valuable feat.

Adding at least 1 rogue level to another pure class character gives you XP for unlocking and disabling traps. The XP bonus more than makes up for slower level progress in the other class. My sorcerer/rogue was able to whoop non-undead by confusing them and then getting auto-sneak attacks on the confused enemies. So a couple extra rogue levels for better base attacks and more sneak attack damage is worthwhile.

Don't rule out multi-classing. You can only reach level 16 in a single class, so if you have a small party (3 or less) you have no choice but to multi-class. Given that, plan appropriately early on. Just make sure you pick classes that are synergistic, that both benefit from at least a few common attributes and skills. They may be a little weaker early on, and the game may be tough (read: save/reload, repeat - don't give up), but after they've gained a few levels, they will be more capable than single class characters.

Good Luck!

[ March 29, 2006, 20:40: Message edited by: Thrasher91604 ]

11. ToddMcF2002 Gems: 6/31

If you are going to multiclass I think you pretty much have to keep the party small right? Otherwise you will be severely weakened by the distributed XP. If you get a bad roll on a saving throw you are pretty screwed though.

I like the pure party myself and the strategical opportunities of a larger party - but I can only image how much quicker Thrashers game was than mine with 40% less turns per battle!

12. kmonster Gems: 24/31

Veteran

If you start with the pre-made paladin taking the next two levels as fighter should be enough to get the cleave feat.
    You'd better create 1 or 2 clerics at the start and keep them pure for turning purposes, a paladin cannot turn as good as a cleric.
    You don't have to create a mage at the start, you'll meet a good one pretty soon.

13. Thrasher91604

Yeah, I really powergamed it. I was bored with micro-managing my 6-man BG party, and went with something more efficient. :eek:

If you have a 4, 5, or 6 man party, definitely keep a cleric single class. I'm not sure if they will ever get strong enough to turn liches, but hopefully strong enough for most of the other undead. Note that the next 2 powerful undead under a lich are immune to turning, so make sure you have sorcerer with hold undead, and then later control undead.

14. ToddMcF2002 Gems: 6/31

Its nice that there are different ways to skin the cat. I couldnt turn liches but they are like any other Sorcerer just uglier. Get them in melee and they are kittens.

All this POR2 talk makes me want to play it again!

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.