1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

paladins: 2 weapon style, or sword and shield?

Discussion in 'BG2: Throne of Bhaal (Classic)' started by the assassin, Nov 17, 2002.

1. the assassin Gems: 8/31
    Latest gem: Skydrop

What is a better proficiency for the paladin in the long run, 2 weapon style or sword and shield. This is assuming that i already have 2 handed sword and 2 handed weapon style. btw, do you think i should put points into halberds and axes?

2. Earl Grey

Earl Grey Mmm... hot tea! Veteran

[​IMG] What are you talking about? :confused:
    Are you going to play a Paladin without Carsomyr?

3. Rastor Gems: 30/31
    Latest gem: King's Tears

Actually, sword and shield style (with bastard swords) is useful once you get Purifier. I agree though, 2 weapon style should be primary.

4. the assassin Gems: 8/31

First of all, Earl, when did i say that i wasn't using Carsomyr. pok kai. Second of all, arent bastard swords pretty rare and overall useless compared to long swords and axes?

5. MagnusMagus Gems: 4/31
    Latest gem: Sunstone

If you`re using Carsomyr, then the other Proffiencies don`t realy matter.
    BUT, if you want alternate weapons to use, I would say Halberds, because they are two-handed. :)
    OR, if you realy want to dual wield, go for Flails. Especially if you have Joluv...

6. Vengeance Incarnate Gems: 6/31
    Latest gem: Jasper

The best wepaon for a Paladin is the Carsomyr, but if you really want to dual-wield go with the Purifier and Foesbane. The Foesbane is a sword you can get Cespenar to make. It's a bastard sword too so you won't have to spend too many proficiency points trying to use them both well, plus the sword isn't that bad.

7. Farthy Gems: 10/31
    Latest gem: Zircon

Veteran

[​IMG] In response to your question about halberds and axes...

Axe of the Unyielding is undeniably the best ax in the game, although I still say Holy Avenger if you're a paladin, especially if you're an undead slayer or cavalier.

The only time my cavalier found a halberd useful was in Yaga-Shura's stronghold using The Wave to fight those fire-based creatures. Other than that, halberds are not as good as two-handed swords IMO, but if you're trying to be creative, give it a try.

8. Earl Grey

[​IMG] When Carsomyr is your main weapon, you need a blunt back-up weapon.

Of course you will already have assigned the best blunt weapons like the Flail of the Ages and Crom Faeyr as primary weapons to other party members, but there are other good ones like Mace of Disruption and Staff of the Ram for example.

Place your proficiencies in mastering weapons instead of getting the pretty useless Weapon & Shield Style proficienciy.

Getting Two Weapon Style is an option but there are some drawbacks:
    - Since you'll be using Carsomyr on almost every occasion it's not much use.
    - Whirlwinds reduce the usefulness of Two Weapon Style.

When your Paladin needs to shift from Carsomyr to the back-up weapon it's indicative of you being in a bit of trouble and it might be good if the paladins AC is improved.
    A great shield together with a blunt weapon is my recommendation, but do not put proficiencies in Weapon & Shield Style!

[ November 18, 2002, 13:08: Message edited by: Earl Grey ]

9. the assassin Gems: 8/31

Ill use Carsomyr eventually, but up to that point, i might be using other weapons, other than 2handedswords. Still, should i put points into 2 weapon style?

[ November 17, 2002, 22:17: Message edited by: the assassin ]

10. Dhirngulin Gems: 3/31
    Latest gem: Lynx Eye

If you choose 2-handed you can also use Psions Bane when you run into mind flayers :mad: .

11. Spelladonna Gems: 14/31
    Latest gem: Chrysoberyl

Of the two, I would suggest 2 weapon style. Remember, though, that you incur THAC0 penalties with the off-hand. Sword and shield style is only beneficial against missile attacks.

12. dmc

dmc Speak softly and carry a big briefcase Staff Member Distinguished Member ★ SPS Account Holder Resourceful Adored Veteran New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!)

Media:
    I would absolutely not waste any proficiency points on either two weapon or sword and shield for a paladin. You've got two-handed sword, so I'd add quarterstaff for Clay Golem bashing and then halberd (I personally love the Ravager when it's upgraded). This way, your paladin will have a great choice of weapons to hit everything, although you'll likely stick to Carsomyr most of the time. Once you have all of the above (which take advantage of your two handed weapon specialization), you can then turn to other weapons if you want to add the benefit of a shield. By the time you get there, you'll probably have a number of greater whirlwinds, which are awesome for a two handed weapon user, but almost useless for a two weapon user (just cast improved haste on that character -- it's more effective and lasts longer).

13. Cestarion the Archmage Gems: 1/31
    Latest gem: Turquoise

[​IMG] Oh come on. the thing isnt only to get a kick-ass character, you have to make it a joy to look at too. Max Two handed swords+two handed weapon style and use Carsomyr which is a true symbol for paladins! And it's good too, especially when you upgrade it with the Eye of Tyr. And if you want to shine like a real paladin, not a filthy fighter, use the Helm of Glory and the Pride of the Legion , even though they're not as good as everything else! My last character was a paladin, I played him through Baldurs Gatt/ToSC, Baldurs Gate 2/ToB, so I reached the Exp cap.. what is it for paladins in ToB? 36? something like that anyway. I wanted to play further with him, so I downloaded an xp-cap remover and reched lvl 50 before he died permanently in an unexpected format c:... I now play a mage and is lvl 28.
    Cestarion/Lozz

14. Earl Grey

[​IMG] Upgrading Carsomy is more or less pointless. The weapon already has all the abilities, all you get for upgrading is +6 instead of +5. :sick:

It's not uncommon to see someone praising the upgraded Carsomyr, so I thought it appropriate so set the record straight. :)

15. the assassin Gems: 8/31

i wanted to get the sword and shield look. Sort of like those around the Radiant Heart building

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.