1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

Playing on Vista (or lack of!)

Discussion in 'The Temple of Elemental Evil' started by Stilletto_Rebel, Jul 8, 2009.

1. Stilletto_Rebel Gems: 1/31
    Latest gem: Turquoise

Hi,

For some reason I can't get the game to play on my new laptop with Vista OS. I've tried both the Co8 5.5 beta and even the V1 vanilla, but the both keep giving me runtime errors!

Does anyone know what the problem could be?

2. erkper2 Gems: 2/31
    Latest gem: Fire Agate

ToEE is very finicky when you try to run it on newer machines with Vista. There is a sticky thread on the Co8 board dealing with running the game in Vista - I'd look there and see if any of their advice helps.

3. SlickRCBD Gems: 29/31
    Latest gem: Glittering Beljuril

Resourceful Adored Veteran

Media:
    ToEE was one of the games I was considering purchasing when I finish NWN. Would the demo version available here (not the full trial, as I don't want to download that until I'm ready to make a decision to buy) be suitable for testing to see if the game would work on my own Vista computer?

Also, what is the Co8 board? I don't want to buy a game that I can't play.

4. erkper2 Gems: 2/31
    Latest gem: Fire Agate

Co8 is the Circle of Eight - a modding forum (still very active) for the Temple of Elemental Evil. Sorcerers Place hosts the Co8 mod. You can find them at:

http://www.co8.org/forum

5. Stilletto_Rebel Gems: 1/31

Thanks Erkper, I'll give it a try.

:)

6. PCKeen Gems: 1/31

A little late maybe

I had the same problems trying ToEE on my computer with Vista. But after following the instructions from a message on the forum it all worked out fine. It's all about installing the right things in the right order.

1. Install Official patch number 1
    2. Install Official patch number 2
    3. SKIP Official patch 3!!!
    4. Install the Co8 Mod 5.0.0

And finally you gotta change some settings for the exe-file: You have to start it as administrator and in the settings tick the conversion to XP.

Turned out fine for me.

Good Luck!

7. Ziad

Ziad I speak in rebuses Veteran

Media:
    Good to know there's a way to run the game under Vista.

So was the key point that you have to install patch 1 before patch 2? I think #2 is meant to be all-inclusive and you shouldn't need #1 (I didn't under XP at least), but if it does make a difference then there probably are some things they forgot to include in #2.

8. SlickRCBD Gems: 29/31
    Latest gem: Glittering Beljuril

Resourceful Adored Veteran

Media:
    I just got TOEE off of eBay along with KOTOR and NWN2. I've installed KOTOR, and was going to test the other two games. I remembered seeing this thread. Is it necessary to install this Co8 Mod to play on Vista? I don't want to install something equivalent to Dark Side of the Sword Coast for BG1 when I haven't yet experienced the original campaign.

Unless the Co8 Mod is quite separate the way Heart of Winter or Trials of the Luremaster were.

P.S. If the procedure is this vital, perhaps it would be a good idea to sticky this thread.

9. Gaear

Gaear ★ SPS Account Holder Resourceful

Media:
    Co8 hasn't changed anything in ToEE specific to Vista (or any OS for that matter), so I don't believe it's necessary to install the modpack to run ToEE under it. However, Co8 includes a 'front end' that allows you to switch between modules seemlessly without uninstalling/reinstalling, and the vanilla game is technically just another module, so if you intend to play Co8 eventually you may want to install the modpack now and use the front end to play the vanilla game first and Co8 later.

There have been some difficulties reported with ToEE/Co8 and Vista, just as there have with 7, but many players seem to get by just fine so it would seem that there is nothing inherent in those systems themselves that prohibits this.

10. vaportrails02 Gems: 1/31

I had the same problem for a Long time!

This is what worked for me when I used Vista. I installed both patches & it Still wasn't working. I right clicked on the TOEE icon on my desktop and went to properties. Then I clicked on compatibility & changed the compatibility mode to windows XP. It worked fine for me after that! Hope this helps, Good luck!

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.