1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

Proficiencies for Mazzy

Discussion in 'BG2: Shadows of Amn (Classic)' started by Klorox, Dec 10, 2003.

1. Klorox

Klorox Baruk Khazad! Khazad ai-mĂȘnu! Veteran

IMHO, there aren't too many good Short Swords out there.

If Mazzy is in Melee, where would you spend her skill points?

I'm leaning towards flail, so she could use the Flail of Ages.

BTW, if I'm wrong (and there are some decent Short Swords that I just haven't found yet) please let me know.

2. Djieff Gems: 7/31
    Latest gem: Tchazar

You're right, there are very few good short swords in SoA. Her personal sword is probably the best (or one of the best) melee weapon for her, until you can give her more prof. points. I'd personally go for axes, but that's just me.

I still recommend using her exclusively for ranged attacks, though. Mazzy in melee should be for extreme situations only. Just my two cents!

3. Razal'dar Gems: 6/31
    Latest gem: Jasper

I disagree. If mazzy gets a strength enhancing item like a belt or gauntlets of ogre power, she's the best fighter out there. SPOILER:

There's a +4 short sword that you get after killing Bodhi and it will hit Kangaxx. In my opinion, any weapon that will hit Kangaxx can be considered good!!

4. 8people

8people 8 is just another way of looking at infinite ★ SPS Account Holder Adored Veteran

Media:
    [​IMG] Some Good Short Swords and Bows from SoA

Arbane's Sword +2
    user is immune to holding and cas cast haste for 12 seconds 1/day. Found in a bandit encounter while in Athkatla.

Cutthroat +4
    Best Short Sword, got in Bhodi's lair. A good sword, I must say. Only available in Chapter 6 though.

Kundane + 2
    a strange sword, it has no speed factor. Not really sure how it affects it but I think it depends on characters dexterity, or perhaps a set number of attacks per round, not quite sure. It's in the Planar Prison anyway.

Short Sword of Backstabbing
    a +3 weapon that is a reward from Mae'Var.

With Shortbows I'd say the best are the Short Bow of Gesen (forged by Cromwell) and Tansheron's Bow +3 (bought in Trademeet)
    There is also the Tuigan bow that does 3 shots per round but is only a +1 weapon. Got in the Copper Coronet Beastmaster.

If you can't wait to get any of these (or they do not interest you) then I suggest getting Mazzy Daggers or Longswords, There are a couple of +4 daggs out there and if you give Mazzy the Daystar (Crooked Crane, I think) then she'll be better against Evil stuff.

5. Djieff Gems: 7/31

Absolutely right. Forgot about that one. However, you have to wait a long time to get your hands on that one decent short sword, and there are many other weapons that can hit Kangaxx available early on.

As far as Mazzy being the best fighter, I think Korgan is much more deserving of that title. I stand by my opinion that she's better used as a sniper and occasional melee backup. But we're getting slightly :yot:

@ Klorox: Flail is a good idea, unless you need to give the FoA to a cleric. There are also some really good daggers and scimitars later in the game, so those may be worth considering, especially if you don't want to equip Mazzy with a ridiculously oversized weapon (for her)! Even a longsword looks weird.

6. Mystra's Chosen Gems: 22/31
    Latest gem: Sphene

If you download the Item Upgrade Mod from Weimer then you can upgrade her Sword of Arvoreen to +5 with a bunch of good bonuses and resistances. I love that mod. The weapons really aren't overpowered and you pay through the nose for them with multiple common items (4 Laerlys Tears for instance or 5 Saaphires) and most of the items cost 20,000gp. They're worth it though because you can get a really good Dagger, Scimitar, Club, Short Sword, Throwing Spear, Long Bow that needs no ammo, etc.

Mazzy, in my opinion, is the best fighter because of her high Dex. Her AC gets really low because of that. She can also haste herself immediately, so if she needs a little boost in the middle of the battle then it's there.

7. Buck Naked Gems: 8/31
    Latest gem: Skydrop

Proficiencies for Mazzy? I'd need to hear who else was in the group, and what they were using, first. :D

8. Deathmaster Gems: 7/31

Using Mazzy excluslively as a ranged attacker seems a waste imo. You got Imoen and Nalia you can both use shortbows, not as good as Mazzy can though. If you do take Mazzy for ranged that one less Spell caster your taking, cause you'll still need that minimum of 2 frontline fighters. But i guess it totally depends on your playing style, some people don't even take a theif with them.

Anyway back to her proficiencies. She has very good fighter stats.
    str: 15
    dex: 18
    con: 16

There are better NPCs, but she is well equipped to be a frontline fighter, especially with a high dex. Since she only has 1 point in shortswords you are not set to certain path of weapon, meaning you could give her anything, without worrying she would better with something else up close. So just give her proficiences in a set of good weapons that the rest of your party aren't using. If you got Keldorn using Two handed swords and you got korgan using axes you give mazzy longswords.

9. Klorox

Klorox Baruk Khazad! Khazad ai-mĂȘnu! Veteran

I'm considering having her stick slots into Warhammer.

Crom Faer would boost her weakest (important) stat.

10. Mystra's Chosen Gems: 22/31
    Latest gem: Sphene

It's hard to give her Prof points because everything either looks ridiculous (think Halberd) or doesn't suit her roleplaying style (think Axe).

That's why I'd download the Weimer upgrade mod and upgrade her sword. But if that's not for you, then by all means go with War Hammer.

11. Tassadar Gems: 23/31
    Latest gem: Black Opal

Veteran

I went with maces for the mace of disruption (which can hit anything). She isn't normally in the front line due to her ability with the bow, but when needed (clay golems, liches, etc), Mazzy puts on the girdle of hill giant strength and bludgeons creatures to death.

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.