1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

Roleplaying with the world map

Discussion in 'Baldur's Gate (Classic)' started by ion, Dec 23, 2006.

1. ion Gems: 5/31
    Latest gem: Andar

I recently started my first playthrough of BG in many years (reading these boards gave me the motivation :). I just entered the Cloakwood and my adventure is already a length of 90 days. Although I have been taking my time doing sidequests, I calculated most of the 90 days is a result of shooting all over the world map on the slightest whim. For example, I will travel the whole map, a multiple day journey, just to sell an item or finish a quest.

This started me thinking. Although I roleplay to some degree, I never take travel time into consideration. It is very unlikely a party would return to the friendly arm inn until they are on their way back up to the bandit forest.

Since there are so many hardcore BG players on these boards, I want to know how you guys play. When you roleplay, are you careful about not using the instant travel map unrealistically?

2. Killjoy Gems: 8/31
    Latest gem: Skydrop

No. If anything, I use CTRL+J much more frequently these days than ever. That's in addition to setting my framerate to 60 to get my guys to walk their fastest.

Those who would call that "cheating" are perfectly welcome to instead sit there and use up much more of their precious free time watching their little characters slowly wander from point A to point B. As much as I enjoy playing, I got other things to do these days and I need to make that free time count.

3. Decados

Decados The Chosen One

Media:
    I'm not really a Ctrl-J user- I utilise it in BGII to skip parts of maps, but for some reason never seemed to feel the need for it in BG.

As to the original question, I just tend not to think about realistic travel times. My parties are quite systematic at cleansing the Sword Coast and unless they have a pressing need to be somewhere in specific, they will use the nearest town. I also spend quite a bit of time out of town- several complete maps ata time are the norm. After that, we get burdened down with treasure and need to sell it all.

4. 8people

8people 8 is just another way of looking at infinite ★ SPS Account Holder Adored Veteran

Media:
    [​IMG] I have been known to travel through previously cleared areas to get to the otherside and head towards the nearest settlement :)

I still do this quite often but more recently I just skip a few arduous and dull bits, I do not shoot around 'randomly' however, I always follow the logical order they would have to go and don't deviate from that.

5. nunsbane

nunsbane

Although I roleplay some of my BG games, I don't hesitate to ignore the impracticality of traveling for hours/days on end without good reason.

Taking travel time into consideration could add another dimension to replay value...as if BG needs another dimension for replayability.

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.