1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

Solo sorcerer is boss

Discussion in 'BG2: Shadows of Amn (Classic)' started by sarevok66, Jul 22, 2007.

1. sarevok66 Gems: 9/31
    Latest gem: Iol

Veteran

[​IMG] hi there, im currently soloing with the sorcerer and its quite fun

EDIT: i just found out about the problem; my mistake

[ July 22, 2007, 14:28: Message edited by: sarevok66 ]

2. The Mountain Hare Banned

Mage/Priest is boss. :)

3. Caradhras

Caradhras I may be bad... but I feel gooood! Veteran

Media:
    Yep. MC of course.

IMO sorcerers are only good for spamming low level spells. With ToB wild mages rule. ;)

4. sarevok66 Gems: 9/31

Veteran

i prefer sorcerers, they're more oriented for combat spellcasting than the usual mage, for soloing its way more fun

5. sarevok66 Gems: 9/31

Veteran

hi, i'm bumping this ol' thread up cause i'm planning on soloing with a sorc for good this time

i haven't been playing BG2 in a while now, my memory is shallow and i surely would benefit from any tips you have under your sleeve like which spells to pick, what items i should go for first etc...

i'm pretty sure soloing with a sorcerer is doable but something tells me i'll be in for a lot of pain

6. hannibal555 Gems: 9/31

Media:
    Last edited by a moderator: Aug 15, 2011
  7. sarevok66 Gems: 9/31

Veteran

thx, thats exactly what i was looking for :)

EDIT: but why aren't there any summoning spells listed ??

Last edited: Aug 14, 2011
  8. hannibal555 Gems: 9/31

Media:
    There are.
    Look for Earl Grey's list.

Spider Spawn is your first summon (most powerful low level summon spell that improves with level) and your later main summon will be skeleton warrior (at level 15).

9. sarevok66 Gems: 9/31

Veteran

yeah but what about elementals, efreeti and fiends ? when you summon these in number they can deal serious damage and take a lot of damage while occupying foes to boot.... dont you kind of need that ?

Last edited: Aug 14, 2011
  10. hannibal555 Gems: 9/31

Media:
    You must know that the spell picks of the sorcerer are very limited.
    If you want to take a 3rd or 4th summon spell you have to sacrifice other eventually very useful or even essential spells for it.
    And Animate Dead is the winner in the Summon category due to its unsurpassed spell level to power ratio.
    Spider Spawn is the winner in the low level category.
    Try to let loose a horde of hasted skeleton warriors. You seldom won't need any other help, besides, the sorcerer has tons of other means to get rid of his opponents.

11. kmonster Gems: 24/31
    Latest gem: Water Opal

Veteran

You can adjust your spells according to your playstyle. The game is beatable with only 2-3 different spells per level.

12. sarevok66 Gems: 9/31

Veteran

yeah maybe you're right, when you have too many summoning spells you tend to rely solely on summon in combat, it takes away the strategy

i also tought globe of invulnerability or protection from missiles and magic weapons were important ones.... guess not after all :/

alright thx guys

Last edited: Aug 15, 2011
  13. Cherrypopper Gems: 1/31
    Latest gem: Turquoise

Yep solo sorc rox, I played on insane (took me 3 days soa+tob) but got stuck at final battle lol.

14. Big Kahuna Gems: 1/31

I have played BGI, started Iceland dale (crashes) and have recently started BGII.
    The idea of soloing is very fascinating.
    And really enticing idea of soloing with a sorcerer.

So am I to assume that the rules for a sorcerer are the same as a mage ?
    Especially in regard to the equiptment they can be outfitted with.

15. henkie

henkie Hammertime Resourceful Adored Veteran New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!)

Media:
    In terms of equipment, sorcerers are no different than mages - everything that is mage only, also works for sorcerers.

Spell selection is very important, though, and they're kind of slow to get started with. Once spider spawn gives you swordspiders, it gets a little bit easier, and once you get skeleton warriors at level 15 it becomes pretty much a walk in the park.
    Until you get project image, time stop and improved alacrity, at which point the game might as well be over already.

Still, having to summon in help in each single area can become tiresome and some areas, especially in the Watcher's Keep, can be very tough because of either dead magic (better to run) or because you start off in a small arena and have to deal with multiple enemies at the same time.

16. Big Kahuna Gems: 1/31

So I played around last night with a solo sorcerer and I buffed him with Shadowkeeper just to see what would happen.
    Per David Magnus article in the tips section I equipt my character with Robe on Venca, staff of Magi, boots of speed, cloak of protection +2, ring of protection +2 and ring of free roaming.
    Wow, he got like 155 HP, (dropped by 100 when I removed the ring of free roaming) and he tore thru level 1 like hot knife thru butter.

I am wondering if there are any levels that will be of a challage for this character??

Anyway, it was not all that much fun without the challenge so I think I will start a new run with a bare sorcerer.

I do wonder how to deal with traps with a sorcerer ??
    Last nights run I just tripped the trap and took the damage, not like it was gonna hurt too bad. :D

17. T2Bruno

T2Bruno The only source of knowledge is experience Distinguished Member ★ SPS Account Holder Adored Veteran New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    Ring of Free Roaming?

18. Blades of Vanatar

Blades of Vanatar Vanatar will rise again Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Looks like it would be a Ring of Free Action that also gives a 100 HP boost. What a find...:rolleyes: When we had DMs that would give crazy itmes like that out to PCs, we would shove them face first into the dip bowl.... :cool:

19. Big Kahuna Gems: 1/31

Sorry- thats suppose to be ring of free action.

DM's ??
    PC"s ??

20. Blades of Vanatar

Blades of Vanatar Vanatar will rise again Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Just some *PnP speak there neighbor.

*PnP = Pen and Paper
    DM = Dungeon Master
    PC = Player Character

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.