1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots as well as access many other forum features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a truly friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this excellence is truly tangible and treasured by our members. We'd love to have you join us today and convince yourself!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.

Sorcerer Question

Discussion in 'Icewind Dale 2' started by Pherrit, May 19, 2017 at 10:10 PM.

1. Pherrit Gems: 1/31
    Latest gem: Turquoise

Hello, I'm just about finished with the prologue, and my sorcerer is level 2. I leveled her up but I didn't get any new spells. I thought I got new spells every level. do I only get two spells of every spell level for the whole game? I'm really confused.

2. xosmi Gems: 19/31
    Latest gem: Aquamarine

Resourceful Adored Veteran

Media:
    Quoting from DSimpsons FAQ :

3. Pherrit Gems: 1/31

I think you've misunderstood my question, I know that I can't cast 2nd level spells yet. My question was that I leveled up to level 2 and I didn't learn any new spells. I thought that at levels two and three I was going to get more first level spells. I wasn't prompted to select more spells and I don't know why.

4. claudius Gems: 3/31
    Latest gem: Lynx Eye

Veteran

Just to keep my response clear I believe you are talking about access to new spells rather than what I refer to as 'slots'.

New spells would mean that say you start with sleep and shield and a new spell could be magic missile.

New 'slots' would mean you go from 3 castings of any (of your a available selection) 1st level spells.

So my answer is on new spells and I believe almost every other level advancement you get new spells. at 4th level you get your 2nd level pick(s) and at 5th you get anther 2nd level pick and another 1st level pick. I can't remember if getting to level 2 you don't get anything but it sounds like it might be true. I doubt your game is bugged. I searched for a table but couldn't find. You might try to find the manual somewhere; yes this game is old enough that games came with paper manuals and someone might have recorded the info online. The only thing to make sure of is that your charisma is 11 or higher to cast 1st level spells but that should be irrelevant to getting new picks and just so you know charisma effects the DC (saving throw of enemy versus their spell) so you want to pump this as high as possible regardless of just getting access to spells (e.g. need 19 charisma for the 9th level spells).

5. Pherrit Gems: 1/31

Thank you for responding. I had figured that might be the case, but I wasn't sure.

6. Paracelsi

Paracelsi ★ SPS Account Holder Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    Sorcerers don't learn any new spells at level 2. You learn one new spell of a new spell level every even level except level 2, and one new spell for old spell levels every odd level except level 1.

Sorcerers are supposed to lag behind a wizard casting-wise, and at character level 2 all wizards get is 1 extra casting of a level 1 spell. Thus, it doesn't make sense for a sorcerer to get an extra casting AND an extra spell.
    You can basically blame whoever came up with the wizard spell progression who decided that wizards didn't get anything special at level 2, since the sorcerer spell progression follows from it.

7. SlickRCBD Gems: 23/31
    Latest gem: Black Opal

Resourceful Veteran

Media:
    The game manuals were included on the CD and installed with the game in my copy of the original without expansions, although I have MotB. Look in the game directory for a folder called "documentation".
    It is also available on Sorcerer's Place .

According to page 74 of the PDF, you should have gotten one cantrip at level 2 and a first level spell at level 3.
    A copy/paste screws up the formatting, and I'm too lazy to fix it properly.
    Code:
    Sorcerer Known Spells and Spells per Day
    Sorcerer
    Level
    Base Spells per Day Spells Known
    0 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9     0 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9
    1 5 3 – – – – – – – –  4 2 – – – – – – – –
    2 6 4 – – – – – – – –  5 2 – – – – – – – –
    3 6 5 – – – – – – – –  5 3 – – – – – – – –
    4 6 6 3 – – – – – – –  6 3 1 – – – – – – –
    5 6 6 4 – – – – – – –  6 4 2 – – – – – – –
    6 6 6 5 3 – – – – – –  7 4 2 1 – – – – – –
    7 6 6 6 4 – – – – – –  7 5 3 2 – – – – – –
    8 6 6 6 5 3 – – – – –  8 5 3 2 1 – – – – –
    9 6 6 6 6 4 – – – – –  8 5 4 3 2 – – – – –
    10 6 6 6 6 5 3 – – – – 9 5 4 3 2 1 – – – –
    11 6 6 6 6 6 4 – – – – 9 5 5 4 3 2 – – – –
    12 6 6 6 6 6 5 3 – – – 9 5 5 4 3 2 1 – – –
    13 6 6 6 6 6 6 4 – – – 9 5 5 4 4 3 2 – – –
    14 6 6 6 6 6 6 5 3 – – 9 5 5 4 4 3 2 1 – –
    15 6 6 6 6 6 6 6 4 – – 9 5 5 4 4 4 3 2 – –
    16 6 6 6 6 6 6 6 5 3 – 9 5 5 4 4 4 3 2 1 –
    17 6 6 6 6 6 6 6 6 4 – 9 5 5 4 4 4 3 3 2 –
    18 6 6 6 6 6 6 6 6 5 3 9 5 5 4 4 4 3 3 2 1
    19 6 6 6 6 6 6 6 6 6 4 9 5 5 4 4 4 3 3 3 2
    20 6 6 6 6 6 6 6 6 6 6 9 5 5 4 4 4 3 3 3 3

Last edited: May 21, 2017 at 3:29 AM
  8. Keneth Gems: 27/31
    Latest gem: Emerald

Resourceful Adored Veteran

It's just a reprint from PHB. As far as I know, spell progression is the same as it is in P&P.