1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

Viconia's evil speech

Discussion in 'BG2: Shadows of Amn (Classic)' started by zaknafein, Nov 6, 2001.

1. zaknafein Guest

useing a drow to common dictionary i was able to translate her "evil speech" as the weirdoes put it. she said something like "nau oloth plynn d'jal" which translates to "no darkness take" and the dictionary didnt have j'jal in it but i would realy like to find out. i could probably guess but it would be nice to know

2. Big B Gems: 27/31
    Latest gem: Emerald

[​IMG] Lol, there's actually a "drow" dictionary! :lol:

3. Spudsquisher Gems: 13/31
    Latest gem: Ziose

please enlighten us as to the whereabouts of this 'drow dictionary'

4. Demonater351 Guest

Drow babble probably means nothing, just meaningless syllables strung together to sound cool. D&D does that I noticed. If you noticed, the words spell-casters use to cast spells is Latin, and bad Latin at that. Huh, Latin in an "alternate world"? The developers just picked it because it sounds cool and mystical. These people aren't philologists, come on...

5. Lokken Gems: 26/31
    Latest gem: Diamond

Veteran

remember that the Elven language doesn't have the same grammar as English, more like German.
    it would probably be more like:
    Take no darkness

Though the words might allude you, I haven't studied the drow speach that closely, only look over it briefly

6. tjekanefir Gems: 13/31

Remember also that the "Elvish" language most people talk about was invented by Tolkien, who actually *was* a philologist. Tolkien's Elvish is probably the best fantasy conlang ever, and certainly the gold standard among enthusiasts of constructed languages.

"Deep Drow" was invented piecemeal by several different second-rate fantasy hack writers, who have no concept of linguistics beyond "Hey, if I put lots of extra apostrophes in I bet it'd look cool."

Demonater's absolutely right, it's just like the bad Latin they use for spellcasting. It's stupid, but it's pretty easy to suspend your disbelief. Especially since Viconia's not the one named Jae'llat or something equally lame.

[This message has been edited by tjekanefir (edited November 06, 2001).]

7. jesper898 Guest

i think it means *Darkness take you*
    i read that in a drow dictionary

8. Taluntain

Taluntain Resident Alpha and Omega Staff Member ★ SPS Account Holder Resourceful Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) BoM XenForo Migration Contributor [2015] (for helping support the migration to new forum software!)

Media:
    [​IMG] The phrase was "Nau! Oloth plynn d'jal!".
    Others that appear are "Oloth plynn dos!" and "Oloth plynn nina!"

• "Nau" is "no".
    • "Oloth plynn" translates literally into "Darkness take".
    • "dos" is "you".
    • "nina" is "them".
    Now for "d'jal". That's a bit tougher and I'm not sure whether whoever wrote it made a mistake or not. "jal" means "all". The "d'" before is short for "del", which is "of". You can shorten "del" to either "d'" or "de'".

So in this instance the translation would be "No! Darkness take of all!". But that sounds rather less likely than "No! Darkness take all!" which I presume is what was the intention.

P.S.
    tjekanefir is wrong. It's a bit more advanced than just simple words with one meaning and no rules. Salvatore's Drow has all the basic rules you need to start with. Grammar is defined for the basic interaction and there are plenty words to go with it.

Of course it's not even close to anything Tolkien came up with, but it's not pure BS as some would have you believe either.

[This message has been edited by Taluntain (edited November 06, 2001).]

Last edited: May 24, 2012
  9. Extremist Gems: 31/31
    Latest gem: Rogue Stone

[​IMG] So Tal, any chance you're drow yourself?
    Ok, Keldorn lovers, get 'im!
    :p :p

10. Taluntain

Taluntain Resident Alpha and Omega Staff Member ★ SPS Account Holder Resourceful Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) BoM XenForo Migration Contributor [2015] (for helping support the migration to new forum software!)

Media:
    Extremist, L'elamshin d'lil Ilythiiri zhah ulu har'luth jal.

That's all. ;)

11. Nobleman Gems: 27/31
    Latest gem: Emerald

[​IMG] And I thought it was weird that a klingon dictionary exsist. :borg:

12. ejsmith Gems: 25/31
    Latest gem: Moonbar

"nau oloth plynn d'jal" translates to:
    I need a beer, and some hot sex.

Dude, hook her up!

13. Demonater351 Guest

In rsponse to the "elvish language" that everybody talks about, I can guaran-dang-tee that Tolkien's "Elvish" and the "Elvish" of, oh let's say, some Forgotten Realms writer like Salvatore, is not the same. Anyone using Tolkien's "Elvish" and not asking permission and paying royalties to the Tolkien estate is guilty of plagiarism; I seriously doubt a company will want to pay money for the privilege of using a invented, set language in their books when their writers can easily just make up some grammatically correct gibberish and call it "Elvish".

And as a sidenote, Tolkien may have been a philologist, but even he had to borrow some things from other languages. The biggest example: Dwarven runes, ya know, those ones that are all blocky and sharp corners in the chart at the back of the third book? Those are actually, almost copied angle for angle, runes used by the Vikings before the 10th century. How do I know? I've saw a picture of a Viking runestone, noticed the writing on it, and saw that they are almost identical to Tolkien's Dwarven runes. Amazing what one does learn sometimes, huh?

14. zaknafein Guest

wicked im a kobold. any way if someone hasnt said this already just look up drow in exite and its there

15. Invoker Gems: 12/31
    Latest gem: Moonstone

On a side note, Jae'llat (the way it's pronounced of course)is an arabic (maybe farsi or even turkish)word meaning executioner.

16. Laertiades Gems: 2/31
    Latest gem: Fire Agate

Tolkiens runes are thesame ones that were used by Vikings a long time ago, he borrowed them, so did the people that made the Ultima series. Then they just made them into words with meaning (C=Corp=Death, M=Mani=Life). THey may vary from stroy teller to storyteller; but they are basicly thesame.

17. tjekanefir Gems: 13/31

I could go into detail about the inconsistencies, omissions, and glaring linguistic errors in the Forgotten Realms drow books and characters' names; however, that would be contradicting Taluntain about something, which would presumably get me disciplined again, so I'll refrain. (-:

[This message has been edited by tjekanefir (edited November 08, 2001).]

18. [​IMG] Got any idea what 'Vith' means?
    Viconia's critical hit cry is 'Vith'os!'
    Her critical miss cry is 'Vith'ir!'

Apparently 'Vith'os' is an equivalent of 'Yeah!', while 'Vith'ir' is an equivalent of 'Damn!'.

Also, i think that Viconia says 'Vith'ir! Such power I have not seen!' when the PC transforms in Spellhold.

19. StressedE Gems: 15/31
    Latest gem: Waterstar

Hmm... how about:
    Hell yeah!
    Hell no!

¿?

20. Taluntain

Media:
    [​IMG] tjekanefir, I never said it was perfect. I never said it came even close to that. (It hardly could since no one went out of their way to make it into something that could potentially be used as a real language, like Tolkien did.) I just said it isn't utter BS, which was pretty much what you implied.

P.S. Wise ass comments will get you disciplined faster. If you don't have anything to add don't just post to contradict me on something I never said. Thanks.

Now for the lessons:

"Vith" means to perform sexual intercourse (slang word) ;)

We've learned from before that "dos", or "'os" means "you".

So - vith'os! -> f*** you! :D

And vith'ir! (where 'ir is short for "tir" which means off) -> f*** off!

I think they sound familiar enough that you'll guess what the asterisks are for. :heh:

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.