1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

What reputation does Imoen leave?

Discussion in 'Baldur's Gate: Enhanced Edition' started by hedron, Jan 18, 2024.

1. hedron Gems: 7/31
    Latest gem: Tchazar

Veteran

I have 6 reputation points. If I steal, I fight the guards and im down to 1. She leaves. But it's too annoying fighting the guards everywhere.

Also, what can I do to lower my reputation? With out killing some random. My character is evil, but he's not a serial killer.

Ive gotten as far as the bandit camp. I chose to join them, not fight. I tried searching, but there doesn't seem to be a thread about it.

2. SlickRCBD Gems: 29/31
    Latest gem: Glittering Beljuril

Resourceful Adored Veteran

Media:
    IIRC, good NPCs will leave if your reputation goes below 5, while evil NPCs will leave if your reputation goes above 18. Neutral NPCs will leave if your reputation goes below 3.

I'd recommend downloading "NearInfinity". Some of the 2DA files might help you figure things out about some of the mechanics, especially the "REPUTATI.2DA" and "HAPPY.2DA".
    https://github.com/Argent77/NearInfinity
    Alternately, or maybe supplementary look on this site for some explanations of the 2DA files.
    https://gibberlings3.github.io/iesdp/index.htm
    2DA files:
    https://gibberlings3.github.io/iesdp/files/2da/2da_bgee/index.htm

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 23, 2024
  3. Keneth Gems: 29/31

★ SPS Account Holder Resourceful Adored Veteran

Media:
    Honestly, I think reputation is implemented rather poorly in IE games. For a while there, I worked on a mod that would make playing an evil character more enjoyable. For example, you wouldn't lose reputation for killing someone without witnesses and reputation score wouldn't affect companions in such an arbitrary way. Unfortunately, I lost interest along the way and never finished it.

These days, I just use a modified HAPPY file to ensure that companions don't leave, even if your reputation score doesn't match their alignment.

4. T2Bruno

T2Bruno The only source of knowledge is experience Distinguished Member ★ SPS Account Holder Adored Veteran New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    According to the Mastering Melee and Magic Guide with BGEE:
    • Good party members with break (leave) on a reputation of 1 or 2
    • Neutral party members with break on a reputation of 1
    • Evil party members with break on a reputation of 19 or 20
    To keep Imoen from breaking you need at least a reputation of 3 (or change her alignment in EEKeeper).

To lower your reputation you can add a drow to the party(-2 for each). You can also just be a jerk in some of the quests -- for example at FAI you get a quest to find a woman's ring (Jolee?) if you demand a reward or keep it you get -1 to reputation. There are a lot of places where this kind of thing happens.

5. Keneth Gems: 29/31

Media:
    To be more precise, most companions are scripted to leave the party when their happiness score drops under -290. As you can see from the HAPPY table that was pasted by SlickRCBD, that happens at reputation 2 for good alignment, reputation 1 for neutral alignment, and at reputation 19 for evil characters. Modifying that file can remove that behavior.

Also, you can find all the non-murder reputation changes for BG:EE in this post: https://sorcerers.net/community/threads/collecting-reputation-points.77127/#post-826779

6. SlickRCBD Gems: 29/31

Resourceful Adored Veteran

Media:
    Sorry, I thought it was something like -160. It's been a while since I looked into it. As in at least a decade. Hard to believe I first played over 20 years ago.

7. Beren

Beren Lovesick and Lonely Wanderer Staff Member ★ SPS Account Holder Resourceful Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    The thing to appreciate is that the original BG1 was a step forward in so many ways from the days when everyone thought fantasy CRPGs were doomed as a genre. And just to include the very concept of a reputation system was one of those innovations.

But the first step is bound to suffer from obvious simplicity. Perform acts of heroism and compassion, and the Drow of Ust Natha suddenly think more highly of you?

But like any first step, of course it's going to get critiqued and everyone will strive to improve on it.

It's still a recurring issue. The whole thing with alignment in NWN2 and the Pathfinder games for example, commit an outrageous murder or two and suffer a small alignment shift penalty, but make it up later by saving the cat from the tree.

If anything, Pillars of Eternity 2 imho came the closet to perfecting a system that wasn't based on alignment but dispositions and factional reputation. But I'm sure somebody can still find something to be unhappy about.

I remember reading somewhere where even the Pathfinder developers are now questioning how committed they are to the OGL, and exploring their own systems that aren't based on traditional D&D alignments and so on.

Ken, I'm sure you know all this, but I guess I still felt the need to add this perspective.

8. Keneth Gems: 29/31

Media:
    After the OGL fiasco, Paizo created a new open license (ORC) for licensing their books going forward. In their remastered Pathfinder 2E books, they have taken the chance to remove some of the more dated things, like the traditional alignment system.

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.