1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

WINDOWS 98, ME, 2000

Discussion in 'Whatnots' started by Wassup, Jan 30, 2001.

1. Wassup Gems: 9/31
    Latest gem: Iol

[​IMG] Hi,

I need some advices. I currently have Windows 98 2nd Edition installed on my computer. I just receive Windows ME and Windows 2000. What should I do? Keep Win98? install ME or 2000? I also have a hub to share my internet connection (using WinGate).

2. Taluntain

Taluntain Resident Alpha and Omega Staff Member ★ SPS Account Holder Resourceful Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) BoM XenForo Migration Contributor [2015] (for helping support the migration to new forum software!)

Media:
    I'd go with 2000, especially if you're planning on playing any games on the computer...

3. Blackthorne TA

Blackthorne TA Master in his Own Mind Staff Member ★ SPS Account Holder Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    First, ask yourself what 98 doesn't have that you need. If the answer is "nothing" then don't upgrade.

If the other versions have something you need, then you should try to find out if they don't have something that you want that you have in 98. That way you can make an informed decision.

I have 98 and have no plans to upgrade in the near future...

4. Vandalore Gems: 7/31
    Latest gem: Tchazar

Also, you might want to check and see if your video card has drivers and OpenGL support for either. Personally, I would go for 2000. Unfortunately, my Riva TNT 2 isn't agreeing with some games that use both Direct X and OpenGL (such as Alice and Vampire the Masquerade), but I still love 2000. I have it on both of my machines. It's just a matter of time before I switch my two roommates to it on their machines.

[This message has been edited by Vandalore (edited January 31, 2001).]

5. Sorl Guest

I got 2000 and apart from some minor data evaporation I had while conversion, I'm quite happy. Won't change back to the 9x line for anything.

6. Wassup Gems: 9/31
    Latest gem: Iol

The only thing I need that 98 dont do, is all the network possibility. I have WinGate, but it not good as I would like.

Last week, I re-formatted my disk, re-installed Win98. And I tried to install Win2000. But before installing, the program anaylse all my stuff and give me a list of all component that are not compatible. Most of my stuff where not. So I cancelled everything. Then I was thinking about ME. But I dont have the Upgrade version, so I have to re-installed everything. So I want to know about it before trying.

But after thinking about this and reading all your suggestions, I think I will stay with 98.

7. Roghnaithe Gems: 2/31
    Latest gem: Fire Agate

just a little pointer from someone who does some tech work, stay away from upgrade versions. I know it is a lot more expensive to buy full versions, but it is well worth it in the long run (less problems). Or if u know someone who has a full version.......

8. Draco Vlasavius Gems: 11/31
    Latest gem: Bloodstone

Veteran

The recent series of Microsoft OS's still continue to have major flaws. Win ME is pretty much a joke. It still has no true user OS security (sans encryption), it still manages RAM inefectively, it sucks up your processor with un-needed processes and garbage, it's the nightmare FAT32 (standard, can be modified) and it's a hard drive hog. Many drivers still are being optimized for compatability with it.

Windows 2000 Pro is basically Win NT with a few gimmicks. But it is the better OS to choose from simply due to the NT core that manages resources (RAM, HD,Permissions,Processor,etc) superior to Win ME. The only issue is that (go figure this one out) it appears to have a more 'strict' HCL (Hardware Compatability List) than NT 4.0 had!!! Unbelievable.

How's that for slammin Microsoft! If only there was a close competitor! The Big Blue abandoned OS/2 long ago but there are some interesting things in the works nowadays from them and a few other companies. Some sort of 'compilation' 64 Bit OS platform.

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.