1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

World of Warcraft for a newbie

Discussion in 'Warcraft & Starcraft' started by Sydax, Jan 23, 2007.

1. Gnarfflinger

Gnarfflinger Wiseguy in Training

I think the next step for me is to try the Arenas with my Pally, Mage or Hunter. The Mage and Hunter are at a point where they can work through some lower end quests to get that extra level that could make the difference working where they are, but the Pally might have to grind out another level before he can seriously advance...

2. Barmy Army

Barmy Army Simple mind, simple pleasures... Adored Veteran

Media:
    Try and batter through the levels pronto to get to 80. That is the objective, the quests etc. are just a means to get there. Then game begins then.

3. iLLusioN' Gems: 16/31
    Latest gem: Shandon

Aye, I'm the utility guy for my guild, and we had planned that before wotlk launched. I have naxx25 level gear for all 3 specs and respecc accordingly depending on what we need to be able to raid. I prefer to tank over anything else but raiding itself is the fun part and I'd rather be able to go as something thats not my favorite than not go at all. I dinged 80 9 days after launch so I've had quite a while to work on it :)

The heroics were fun and go by fairly quick(30-45 minutes each) but I could run most of them in my sleep now =/ I'm still trying for 2 drops for my ret set to get some more expertise. Have only seen the one once in 25 runs and lost the roll to a rogue :( never seen the other but I avoid HoL with pugs.

4. Barmy Army

Media:
    HoL is a nightmare at the best of times. Very hard to heal a group in that place, even if it's a group who kow what they are doing!

I'm currently working through heroics to build up some emblems. I'm half epic, half blue at the minute, and will be ready to help my guild in 25man Naxx soon, if I can find the time to raid!

I need to brush up on my raid healing tho. I always seem to get battered by the druids on HPS meter and overheal a lot. In instance healing though, I consider myself to be pretty solid. Of course, it all depends on the quality of the tank and the DPS classes to actually know how to properly DPS.

5. Gnarfflinger

I'm trying to learn two different roles. One is the tank. I have an Orc Warrior on one server and A Dwarf Paladin. The other role I want to learn is a DPS that can pull from a pack to control the degree of aggression. I'm trying a hunter and a Mage for that job. I'm also trying to figure out what a Shaman and a Warlock can do...

6. joacqin

joacqin Confused Jerk Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    How did I miss this topic? Are you sure a person prone to addiction (judging by your posts about your previous life) should really start up on WoW or electronical crack as I like to call it? It is an amazing game and even if you barely talk to another player just playing it as a singleplayer games puts it head and shoulders above most games out there.

My advice to you Gnarff, unless you have loads and loads of time on your hands, is to pick one character and focus on it for a few months. Get it to max level, get it some gear, run instances and heroics. Maybe even join a raiding guild plenty of them around now and the content is accesible to everyone.

I am really enjoying the more casual style of WotLK I want to experience everything and previously you had to dedicate all your sparetime to do that now you can take it a bit more laid back and still see it all. Many of my hardcore friends find it frustrating (we cleared Nax25 8 days after WotLK launch) with no new content and "easy" content I like to have a few months of chilling between a month or so of true raiding. Playing hardcore is fun but it is also very draining.

I am a DPS through and through I play a warlock and have done so since early TBC and before that it was a mage. The last two Naxx clears have really boosted my e-peen, topping the dmg meters at Patchwerk. I think I will be able to breach 6k dps over that fight with a bit more optimization of my rotation and a few more pieces of loot. Last week I had 5552 dps. I really enjoy playing an affliction lock, many classes only spam one or a few buttons but if you play that you more or less have ten different spells and abilities in your rotation.

Here is a link to my little girl: http://eu.wowarmory.com/character-sheet.xml?r=Vashj&n=Poliel

7. iLLusioN' Gems: 16/31

Nice joac. My guild is not quite large enough to get that type of dps, if we were I wouldn't need to be utility. I'm going to start putting together some 25 man pugs soon, I do it weekly for sarth and arch as it is, and as long as I know my tanks and healers in 25 man naxx it's pretty simple to hide the few bad dpsers. I will most likely go as holy...my holy set is pretty comparable to your locks gear :) 21.5 k mana unbuffed 2k sp and 35% crit. Yours is better though because DPS generally have lower SP than heals...plus you'll get your self buff for sp.

Anyways, Barmy, are you holy or disc? if you are disc use and abuse PW:S+renew. If you are holy CoH is pretty powerful even after the nerf, especially with the amount of AoE there is in wrath raids/dungeons. It can be hell for a holy pally on some of them. Loken is actually very easy if you have a healer that can carry. As long as everyone has 14k hp then you can stay in and just nuke through his nova. bubble, iceblock, shield wall etc. all help/work against the lightning nova. Shamans hunters and frost dk's can all make it easy with their nature resistance.

All of that being said I have considered moving my paladin to another, more active raiding server. I have friends on various servers which would help a good bit. I have alot of friends on my server, and family, and am also on my guilds "council" so I feel it would be a dick move =/ I suppose I could powerlevel a toon lol.

8. Barmy Army

Media:
    I WAS disc when running normals, pretty much solely due to Penance. It's awesome. However, once I went to HC's I found that I just didn't have enough raw healing power. Tanks with 30k+ health really need some big heals on them. So I re-spec'd holy. Currently I have a crummy 1900SP, but it's a work in progress. My main healing comes from Renew (which ticks for silly amounts in Wrath) and PoM, with Flash Heals thrown in as and when required. When Clearcast procs I use GH every single time... free! If mobs/bosses AoE, then I throw CoH around like a good 'en. But a good 50-60% of my healing gebnerally comes from Renew and PoM. I am thinking that when I'm fully epic with some serious SP then disc might come back into play.

I was proud of myself yesterday though, I kept up with a fully epic'd holy pala in VoA on the HPS meter :-). In my experience though, priests very rarely hit top on that meter. Usually druids are and priests come into play when it's a 'Oh crap, that guy is really getting battered, get a priest in here' situation.

9. joacqin

joacqin Confused Jerk Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    My felarmor gives me around 420 more spellpower, been stealing the priests spirit loot. 100 spirit is 33 spellpower! If you have two decent tanks and four good healers you can pretty much fill up the rest of the raid with mostly anything although good dps make a ton of difference. Being stuck on a slumbering server can be pretty sucky though. Vashj which I play on is a very medium server in all ways. I kinda like it that way, it is by no means dead but neither are there any queues or a gazillion guilds. Most of the higher end players at least know of each other. Recruitment can be tough at times, especially now when everyone and their grandmother has started their own guild. It is the loyal, trustworthy people you want for your own guild but they are the hardest to lure over as they stick to their old one no matter what. Easy to recruit loothorny leetkids but they usually do not last long. We have been trying to find a good DK tank for ages now but it is hard, several who have failed their trials. Thankfully I am no officer anymore, was way too nice the current leadership is rougher and more demanding.

Talking about Loken, I did a pug a few months back, no problem up to Loken and we had a shaman healer. We wiped twice, no horrendous wipes we were trying to figure out which tactic was best with the group we had but after the second wipe the shaman healer left with the words "this group can't do it, you guys suck". I managed to get a shaman from my guild to come and help and we just stood still and he chainhealed through it all without any problem. The only problem was me pulling aggro from the tank after 20% being oneshotted. Bah, stupid tanks, learn to TPS. They have had it too easy for too long and now that the dps are starting to catch up they cry. ;)

10. Gnarfflinger

Well, I have a lot of time... Might change if I can start working again. I'm already noticing that there are some of my characters that see more action than other characters. I'm building my paladin towards the Retribution talents, and after retraining the skills to match that, I'm noticing that he becomes easier to solo with. Also the my mage is getting better with crowd control now that he as some Area of Effect stuff.

At some point I will have to get some backup and try Ragefire Chasm with my Hunter or Mage...

11. joacqin

Media:
    Oh, oh, you are still that low. Man, I am telling you pick a character and level it to 80. Experience the entire levelling experience and get a feel for the endgame, then you can play around with different toons. If you can get groups for the lowbie instances when you are the appropriate level it is great but I think it might be quite hard nowadays. Do not spend hour after hour of game time trying to find a group. Go do quests and explore hte world and if you are lucky someone will ask you if you want to come but be prepared that doing instances with strangers is risky. It can be among hte best gaming experiences of your life or it can be utterly horrible. If you want to make sure you are viable for groups I would say stick with your paladin, keep him specced for retribution (the paladin dps spec, all classes should spec for maximum damage while levelling) but pick up some spellpower loot you can put up and then you will be able to heal all instances at your level. Heck, might even keep a shield and a onehander be capable of tanking most of hte stuff. This will up your viability for groups quite a bit.

12. Gnarfflinger

I have been mostly questing. With my more advanced characters, I've been going to multiple areas to take on as many quests as I can to make sure there's always something I can do and have a reasonable chance to pull off. With some toons, it keeps me busy enough.

I'm also tempted to put a character with Blacksmithing on Kil'Jaeden and Ravenholdt if I can't get a good price for the mined materials. It's getting ridiculous that I can't even sell my copper bars for a decent price!

13. joacqin

Media:
    Sell the ores and what do you consider a decent price? At your level 30s per stack would be decent but you should be able to get a few G per stacks. Always someone who is levelling a profession. I would recommend that you actually get a crafting profession and use your metals yourself. Jewelcrafting is quite easy and rewarding, blacksmithing is rough but probably the "deepest" profession.

The best tip to speed up levelling is to minimize travel time. Go to one zone, do all the quests and then move to the next. Levelling in multiple zones will slow you down immensly. Did that with my first characters and I spent a third of my playtime travelling.

14. Gnarfflinger

I hear you should be able to get 6 to 8 G for a stack of 20 Copper Ore, but I'm seeing more and more of it either selling lower than that or not selling at all. If I put a Smithing character on either of those servers, I'll likely look to buy out underpriced bars and use them myself...

I only ever once got a G for a stack or Ore. That's why I smelt it myself. Why buy ore when you can mine it yourself?

I have one of my characters that is doing that. Mining and Blacksmithing seem to work nicely. I'm quite curious about how Engineering works, and what it will let you make.

I'm tempted to try Jewelcrafting with the Priest or Rogue that will be subsidiary characters.

What I find is that the difficulty of the quests soon catches up to my character level. With my Warrior (lv 15), I've got it planned out that I'll do the 11 and 12 level quests in Tristfall Glades/Silverpine Forest then return to Durotar to finish the last few quests there. From there, I can work between the Barrens and Silverpine forest until I can get backup for Ragefire Chasm.

Where I run into trouble doing things the way you suggest is with my Dwarf (18 Paladin). The Majority of my active quests are in Loch Modan, and I still struggle with the quests as the difficulty increases faster than my level. I haven't figured out a good grinding run for my level either. I'm thinking that there are some nice mining areas with appropriate level creatures there. That might be my best bet...

15. joacqin

Media:
    They have removed most of the group quests havent they? I remember :geezer: back in the day when there were several quests in each zone that demanded that you killed elite monsters. That ogre in Loch Modan, that was rough. I do not see what can be a problem, maybe a tiny bit now in the beginning but really not.

Just because a quest is orange it does not mean that it is too hard. At 18 you can almost go to Wetlands or Redridge. Maybe you can't do all the quests in one go but travelling back and forth between every other quest takes up a lot of time and you want to play right, not watch a gryphon's butt?

Ah, you are joining hte game now it means that you will never have a sense of proportion when it comes to money. One goldpiece used to be LOADS of money for a lvl18 character. I remember running around with at most like 4g in my pocket up to lvl40 and then I had to farm my ass off to be able to buy a mount. Keep your ores and use them for levelling some profession but try to sell other stuff on AH. Especially green items there are max level characters that are willing to pay up to 10g for good green items to give to their alts and if you find blue items. lvl19, 29 or 39 your luck is made. Can get hundreds of gold for them.

16. Barmy Army

Media:
    Don't worry too much about trying to mine ores, and what price you'll get for them, and this that and the other. It's all slowing you down. Just try and power level through the levels. You should be able to take areas a few levels above you, depending on class and spec. If you've finding the difficult a bit much in Loch Modan, you're either wearing horrendous gear or not using your skills correctly.

I suppose it's a bit different for us 'oldies' we know where to go for the best XP, the best gear and easy levels. I'd SERIOUSLY recommend downloading questhelper if you haven't already.

17. iLLusioN' Gems: 16/31

Our guilds MH is a disc priest, he's absolutely nuts. He solo healed 10 man sarth last night without too much trouble. We wiped once because my UI addon bugged and kept sending me into portals if I was within range( I was MT..) that was not fun.

@Gnarff, I would guess from your posts that you are playing as horde, if thats the case the best places to level are your starting area, the barrens/silverpine, hillsbrad foothills, thousand needles, arathi highlands. That is in the order I usually go in and should get you pretty close to level 40 fairly quickly. On all of my servers a stack of copper ore sells for around 3g.

@joac I don't like running 25 mans. IMO 10 mans are actually harder, because you can't just hide somebody in there like you can in 25 mans. I know one guy who is in full tier 7.5 with best in slot everything...and can't heal HAN as a resto shaman... He basically gets hidden in his 25 man and carried for the loot, but has no concept of how to use it, and that happens far too often. For our 10 mans we have a core of 6 people and fill in the other slots as needed. When we fill with somebody we have to carry things often don't go very smooth, lot of ugly kills but we usually don't wipe due to the skill of our tanks and healers.

On the other hand I lead 25 man half pugs every week.... lol

18. joacqin

Media:
    The same can be said of the ten mans, more so actually. The only thing that is harder as a ten man is doing Sarhtarion with the three drakes up. You could basically do ten man nax with half the raid naked.

The biggest difficulty with raiding has never been the encounters themselves though, it is to get the people together and sticking together.

19. iLLusioN' Gems: 16/31

I suppose that's true. It just seems to be more noticable to me the people who get carried in 25 mans because their gear is so much better, but they are not.

20. Gnarfflinger

They still have some. I have a couple gear slots I want to upgrade before tackling the Ogre in Loch Modan. I'm seeing some with my Horde characters too.

I just use that time to go to the can or get another glass of water, maybe get a snack or something. I usually have other things I can do besides watch the guy fly...

---------- Added 0 hours, 15 minutes and 54 seconds later... ----------

It's not loads when you're trying to upgrade through the AH and bid on Netherweave Bags...

I've been watching the greens I have for just that purpose.

So far I've only found one, and it bound when I picked it up. I couldn't use it, but I could sell it to a vendor for 62s. That might change when I can get some backup for some runs. I have three of my Horde Characters that should be thinking about Ragefire Chasm soon.

Considering that it took me 3 hours to go from 19 to 20 this morning with my Mage, I'm thinking that maybe I do have too many low end quests. But then again, there was one 16th level quest that was screwing me up at 18th level...

I have identified a couple items on my Pally that do need an upgrade, and I'm wondering if I'm missing something on the offense. I'm using the Retribution aura, but I've identified a couple things that I struggle with...

I've got both. I'm settling on my Undead Mage as 1 and my Dwarf Pally as 1a. I still try to check in with the lower end characters occasionally, but those two will get the lion's share of the play. The Mage is running quests in Silverpine forest and the Barrens. I have some nice gear waiting for me when I finally hit 21, most of which I got on an RFK run that a high level Death Knight took me through. I should message my guild to see if I can get a Ragefire Chasm run in before too long...

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.