1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

SP Happenings #189 - 9 Years of Sorcerer's Place!

Discussion in 'BoM Blogs' started by Taluntain, Jun 10, 2008.

1. Taluntain

Taluntain Resident Alpha and Omega Staff Member ★ SPS Account Holder Resourceful Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) BoM XenForo Migration Contributor [2015] (for helping support the migration to new forum software!)

Media:
    While our message boards community is increasing at a slower rate than in the past, we've logged our 11,000th member recently. If I wasn't removing bad registrations and merging or deleting any duplicate accounts as I see them, the figure would be even a bit higher. 11k is obviously not as big a deal as 10k was (everyone likes nice, round figures), but it's significant nonetheless. It shows that our community is growing, and the fact that it is evolving is visible plainly enough. Over the last few months there has been a series of board changes and new features or improvements added (check the Sorcerous Sundries forum for more information on the specifics), and quite a few more are still coming. I hope that all those of you reading this will stick around to experience it first hand, or join us if you haven't already.

Incidentally, today also marks the 9th birthday of Sorcerer's Place. On one hand, it seems like a long time, and truthfully, nine years is nothing to sneeze at. But on the other hand, given that I'm still having fun and enjoy running SP, it doesn't seem like I've been at it for nearly a third of my life at all. Most of the credit for that definitely goes to our friendly community and the people who comprise it and give it a life and soul of its own. If it weren't for all of you, I think that it's quite safe to say that I would have moved on from SP to other pursuits a long time ago. So here's to every past, present and future member of our community, and especially to those who have contributed or still contribute to it in any shape or form!

As a small token of my gratitude to the current site supporters (SPS Account Holders) who have helped me keep SP and our small network of hosted sites out of the red for the past year, I have extended the subscription period on all accounts for 1 month to celebrate SP's ninth anniversary. Additionally, anyone signing up for a new SPS Account (or an extension!) via a donation over the next 2 weeks (up to and including the 24th of June) will also receive a free 1-month extension added to their account. If you've been waiting for a good time to show your support and appreciation for SP (again), this is it! You can make your donation on this page. Thank you also to those of you supporting SP via other means - every bit of help is very much appreciated.

I know that quite a few of you are impatiently waiting for another SP content update. Although it's a relatively busy time in RL for more right now, I hope to be able to put one together by the beginning of July at the latest.

Oh, and in case you haven't been paying attention, here's a super-quick list of recent new features: BoM arcade, BG2/ToB Angelo NPC mod review and community blogs! As always, more will be coming soon...

NOTE: From this point onwards, SP Happenings will be posted directly to Taluntain's blog. A notice about every new entry will still appear among the news on the front page.

2. Register Gems: 29/31
    Latest gem: Glittering Beljuril

About growing:

How about a Mass Effect subforum? It's a Bioware RPG that while it has been out for quite a bit on the 360 it just recently(days ago in Europe) came out for the PC. I'd be willing to write up a review if you'd like to have some kind of basis for the forum.

And I mean, if it flunks just graveyard it like the other dead forums. ;)

3. Taluntain

Taluntain Resident Alpha and Omega Staff Member ★ SPS Account Holder Resourceful Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) BoM XenForo Migration Contributor [2015] (for helping support the migration to new forum software!)

Media:
    A review would be nice, sure... there was some talk of opening up more game forums a while ago but it kinda died down when people didn't show much interest in the games nominated for the new forums in the existing general forums. But it wouldn't really cost us much time to open those forums and a Mass Effect one, yea. Good suggestion.

4. Register Gems: 29/31
    Latest gem: Glittering Beljuril

Alright, I'll write one up and ask a native Englishspeaker to spellcheck it.

5. Dalveen

Dalveen Rimmer gone Bald Veteran

Media:
    Does this mean we have to start posting Mass Effect news?

6. Taluntain

Media:
    No; not until we see whether there's actually any lasting interest in the game.

7. Aikanaro Gems: 31/31
    Latest gem: Rogue Stone

While I'm all for things that would stimulate growth in general terms, a Mass Effect subforum not-so-much. It's not a game that meshes with the site's general focus.

Some kind of brainstorming think-tank for how to make the BoM lively again might be a good idea though. I don't think throwing up forums for any vaguely-RPGish game that comes along is the answer, but I'm sure there's an answer somewhere...

8. a soubriquet Gems: 5/31
    Latest gem: Andar

Why not go more broad than anything resembling an RPG? Something like an RPG/FPS (Mass Effect, Bioshock) hybrid forum, an RPG/Strategy forum (Dragonshard)?

9. Taluntain

Media:
    There is a Dragonshard subforum in The Resting Place forum; it's been moved there after a long period of complete disinterest in the game...

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.