^^^ 50% off special!
On a scale of 1-5, how excited about the announcement of Siege of Dragonspear (by Beamdog) are you?|
• 5 (very excited)
• 1 (least excited)
Location: Games » Baldur's Gate 2 » Walkthroughs & Guides
MAGE STRONGHOLD QUESTS
Once you have completed the Planar Sphere quest, when you first enter the Planar Sphere after taking it as your stronghold, Reyna – the leader of the Solamnic Knights – asks you to help them find a way back to their home plane. Agree to help them.
After you have spoken to Reyna, a Cowled Wizard named Teos teleports in. He has an offer – and, as it turns out, an offer you can't refuse. What exactly the offer is he doesn't say, yet. (Don't worry, it's not that bad!)
If you ask Teos for advice on how to help the Solamnic Knights, he suggests that you speak to Ribald Barterman in the Adventurer's Mart, or that you ask the Most Noble Order of the Radiant Heart to take them in.
Helping the Knights of Solamnia
While waiting to find out what Teos has in store for you, you might as well help the Knights of Solamnia. As Teos suggested, there are two ways of solving this.
Asking the Order of the Radiant Heart
- Go to the Temple District and enter the Order of the Radiant Heart.
- At 5, speak to Prelate Wessalen and ask him if he would accept the knights into his service. He would love to.
- Go back to the Planar Sphere and speak to Reyna. She and her knights accept that they will probably not be able to go home to their own plane, and that serving the Order is the next best thing. The party receives 45,000 XP.
Asking Ribald Barterman
- Go to Waukeen's Promenade and enter the Adventurer's Mart.
- Speak to Ribald Barterman and tell him of your predicament. He just happens to know a mage who can help the Solamnic Knights back to their home plane. But she demands a hefty price: 9,000 GP!
- If you accept the price, Ribald tells you the mage will be in the Planar Sphere in 24 hours. In other words, he already knew where the mage would be needed. Cheeky bugger!
- Spend the next 24 hours sleeping or getting some other jobs done. Then return to the Planar Sphere.
- On the main level, go to 5 where you first met the Knights of Solamnia. Khollynnus Paac teleports in and speaks to you.
- Ask the Knights if they are ready to return to their home plane. Of course they are.
- Before leaving, Reyna gives you the Golden Girdle. She and her fellows are then teleported back to their home plane, and the party receives 45,000 XP.
So, which path should you take? It is primarily a roleplaying decision. But if you choose the "good" path of helping the knights go home, you gain the Golden Girdle, for which you have to pay a price of 9,000 GP. Not really worth it, if you ask me.
Training the Young Acolytes
True to his word, 24 hours after bidding you farewell, Teos once more shows up in the Planar Sphere. With him are three young mages called Morul, Larz, and Nara. Your job is to train them into productive Cowled Wizards.
You are transported to the room at 11 on the main level of the Planar Sphere. This is where you can find your apprentices from now on. They will need to perform three magic tasks under your watchful eye.
Each time you can give them one of three tasks. The harder the task, the more expensive it will be for you, and the greater the risk to the apprentices. Give them a hard task, and you will most likely get one or more of them killed. Of course you should try to keep them alive!
After setting them a task, Morul will either tell you that it will take "a few days", "four days", or "four or five days". In all cases it will take four days – but if he says "four days" or "four or five days", it means one or more of the apprentices will die, or at the very least that they will fail in their task.
First job: Create a Magical Item
The first job is to create a magical item. You can choose to let your students create the Dagger of [Your name] (price: 250 GP), the Wand of the Apprenti (price: 1,000 GP), or a Ring of Protection +1 (price 2,000 GP).
The safe bet here is to let them create the dagger. The Wand of the Apprenti may be cool but you run a high risk of not getting a wand, and losing one of your students to boot. The Ring of Protection is certain to get Larz killed. Besides, if you have installed Throne of Bhaal, you can't wear Rings, Amulets, and Robes of Protection together with a lot of other items so its usefulness is limited.
Second job: Scribe a Magical Scroll
For their second task, your pupils are to scribe a scroll. You can choose between a Scroll of Mislead (price: 250 GP), a Scroll of Abi-Dalzim's Horrid Wilting (price: 1,000 GP), and a Scroll of Meteor Swarm (price: 2,500 GP).
You can get all three scrolls during Shadows of Amn, so again I urge caution. Choose the Mislead scroll. That way you have a high probability of keeping your apprentices alive and getting a successful result.
Third job: Enchantment
For the third job, the apprentices offer to create an enchanted item for you. There are four possibilities:
- The Robe of the Apprenti (price: 250 GP). Larz will die if you decide on this.
- A Ring of Wizardry (3,000 GP). Both Larz and Nara will die.
- A Staff of Power (10,000 GP). All three apprentices will die.
- Or you can decide to show caution and tell them to create nothing. This is the only way to keep all of your apprentices alive.
Again, I advice caution. Tell them that if all items are so dangerous to create, you'd rather keep them alive. They will be disappointed, but alive for their graduation ceremony which will take place shortly.
Once the third job is over (one way or another), the surviving apprentices teleport away.
One day after completing the third job, go to the Planar Sphere. Teos teleports in and evaluates how you did. If you killed all three apprentices, he chides you. If one or more of them survived, the graduation ceremony is held on the main level of the Planar Sphere at 16. William "Bill" Williamson makes a little speech, and if you kept all three apprentices alive, the party gains 50,000 XP. If one or more of them died, you get no XP.
Two days after the graduation ceremony, when you are travelling outside in Athkatla, Sergeant Natula brings you a message from the Cowled Wizards. You are to meet Teos at once in the Planar Sphere.
- Go to the main level of the Planar Sphere. Teos awaits you at 2. Before entering, you'll want to prepare for battle.
- For Teos is mightily anxious to learn why *you* have asked *him* to meet you here. Hmmm...
- Sergeant Natula and several of his men teleport in and attack. Teos does the sensible thing and teleports out.
Among the loot will be various mundane equipment and minor treasure, plus some Potions of Invisibility.
- Once all enemies are dead, Teos beams back in.
- Seems the man behind the ambush is an anti-magic fanatic called Lord Ketlaar Argrim, an enemy of all mages. His hostility in particular includes Cowled Wizards, and the Cowlies want you to solve this little problem for them.
- Killing the man would be too obvious, of course. No, he must be made to "disappear" with a special Rune of Imprisonment, which Teos gives you. Lord Argrim can be found on the top floor of the Crooked Crane Inn in the City Gate district.
- Go to the City Gate District, and enter the Crooked Crane Inn. Prepare for battle, then go to the second floor. Have one of your party members prepare the Rune of Imprisonment in a quick item slot.
- Lord Argrim is in the bedroom at 6 on the second floor, and not prepared to listen to anything you have to say. You are a Mage, and therefore by definition Evil! Ah well. With him are two Men-at-Arms and two Archers.
- Have your party engage the Men-at-Arms and Archers in battle, and have one of your NPCs step up to Lord Argrim and use the Rune of Imprisonment on him. Kill the rest of your enemies.
You will find a few Arrows of Dispelling and Arrows of Ice among the loot.
- Once all enemies are dead or "disappeared", return to the Planar Sphere and speak to Teos once more.
- The party gains 7,500 XP and Teos volunteers the information he has on Imoen – which isn't much. All he knows (or at least claims to know) is that she and Irenicus are no longer in the city. The only word he will tell you is, "Spellhold".
- With that, Teos teleports out and your association with the Cowled Wizards comes to a rather cold end.
However, if all three acolytes survived your tutorship, Morul teleports in at this point and offers to stay as your apprentice. By all means accept! If you do, he will make a fresh set of potions for you each week. Which set you get each week is random.
And that is that for the Mage Stronghold quests.
SP Forums: SoA & ToB
Downloads currently hosted on SP: 1157
Adventurers currently exploring SP: 140
Forumites currently online:
Eyebreaker7, Vhadin and 43 guests
Has Sorcerer's Place been useful? If you would like to show your appreciation for all our hard work on the site, and help us pay the bills the site generates every month, please see how you can help support SP. Thank you!